Friday, 13 July 2012

Very sad news

Hello lovely people. 

It's been a while hasn't it?  Life is very busy right now.  Mainly in a good and fulfilling way.  Sometimes in a bit of a manic way.  Always is a mildly chaotic way.  And very occasionally in a 'I may be about to lose my grip on reality' kind of way.

Sometimes though.   Things happen in life that stop you in your tracks.  Just like that.  No matter how busy life is.  A thing like that happened to us on  Monday of this week.
The Eight Year Old came out of school with a letter that each of  the pupils had been given addressed to their parents.  As he handed the letter to his Dad he said "there's been some very sad news".
The 'very sad news' was, and is, shocking.  Too much to take in.  Almost incomprehensible if you're only eight.  A girl in The Eight Year Old's class has died.   It has happened suddenly after her being ill in hospital for a short time.

The Eight Year Old knew and liked the girl in question as a classmate. She had been his partner in their ICT lessons where they had worked together to produce some fantastic project work.  The Eight Year Old had invited the girl to his last birthday party.

I don't really think the Eight Year Old fully understands what has happened. He has spoken of her now and again over the last week. It's as if she suddenly pops into his mind as he remembers what his teacher had gently, sensitively and openly explained to his class this week.  But I really don't think he realises the gravity of the situation. 

I didn't know the girl or her family well, but I do remember chatting to the girl one day when parents had been invited into class to see what our children had been working on.  I remember being instantly aware of the beauty and elegance of this young girl with her life stretching out in front of her. The Eight Year Old had spoken often about there being only one person in his class who was taller than he was 'and it's a girl!".  And there she was, the tallest person in the class stood before me.  She was chatty and bright.  She smiled a lot.  I left my encounter with her thinking that I had met someone who would really make their mark on the world.  I could see her becoming someone with influence who would create an impact and leave a strong impression on those who met her.  Just as she had left a strong impression on me.

And now she is gone.  Just like that.

I feel stunned by what has happened.  As do the other parents from the Eight Year Old's class.  It's as if we are all reminded about how fragile life can be.  And how unexpectedly cruel life can be at times. I  don't think I've been alone this week when I've felt extra thankful for my healthy sons.  The frustrating moments of parenthood have felt less frustrating as I reflect on how very lucky we are. 

Our thoughts go out to the family of the girl who has died.  Her parents and two sisters.  We can only begin to imagine what kind of pain they are feeling right now.  And as we parents remember the girl and think of her family, we hold our own children a little closer.  The hugs go on for a little longer.  And we realise that every single moment counts because we never know how many of those moments we may have left to enjoy.

I  have suggested to The Eight Year Old that as well as feeling sad, we also need to feel grateful.  We have been lucky to have known such a warm and beautiful and intelligent girl.  She touched our lives.  The sadness however will remain, because no matter how you look at it, the fact is that the time the girl had was cut short.  She was stopped in her prime.  And that, is something that we will remember as we move on through our own lives.

2 comments:

  1. How sad. And I gave my daughter an extra long hug after reading this too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how devastating for everyone. So very sad x

    ReplyDelete